The Malawi Washington Association is a non-political and non profit organization. The objectives and purposes of the Malawi Washington Association are:
- To promote, advance, and protect the interests and welfare of Malawians residing in the Washington Metropolitan Area and elsewhere in the US and Canada;
- To assist Malawians and deserving non-Malawians in times of need and hardships;
- To carry out or finance non-political projects as a means of contributing to the development of Malawi;
- To promote cultural, educational, and commercial relations between Malawi and the United States of America;
- To carry out fund raising activities for the association
- To undertake any activity which is consistent with any of the above objectives and which is not in violation of the laws of the District of Columbia.